This week I’ve been looking at ways to enhance the existing isolated edit view for Template Parts.
- In the Inspector, the “Block” tab from template editing view becomes a “Template Part” tab, akin to the Post / Page / Template tab, and the controls are migrated accordingly. This is potentially something we can expand upon in the future.
- The Top Bar indicates that the Header is being edited.
- A “< Back” button is revealed on the canvas which when clicked returns the user to the referring context
- The Template Part is inset on the canvas, clearly indicating its boundaries
- An input on the border of the Template Part allows users to test how it behaves at specific widths
- A drag handle provides a looser equivalent of the above for quick-checks
- A “Custom” option is added to the view options. This could even be something we bring to post and template editing in the future.
I believe there’s an exciting opportunity to bring the enhancements here to Reusable Blocks as well.
Discussion in on-going on github.